[Zope-dev] The Product API is not easy to use!

Josh Zeidner jmz_phylogenic@hotmail.com
Fri, 02 Jul 1999 20:08:04 EDT

>That's Michel.

   -- sorry about that...

> > Maybe a better question would be :  are there
> > products from
> > business organizations that are modelled more traditionally( revenue
> > obtained through licenseing ).  Examples of which might be
> > listed above.  On
> > a similar topic, how does Digital Creations obtain revenue?
>
>We consult for a fee.  This has allways been our business model.  During
>the past 3 years, we have developed a killer web application in Python.
>So instead of keeping it closed source and having only a dozen
>customers, we give it away to get hundreds.  Our clients have never
>payed for 'the software' just 'the solution'.

  -- so possibly you see Zope as a sort of "residue" of your companies real
products( solutions providing )?

> > Whats to stop a company such as mine to take Zope
> > and totally
> > bypass Digital Creations?  Has such a thing happened before?
>
>Go ahead.  You are welcome to use any part of Zope in your own product.
>In fact, we *want* you to do this.  If you do, however, you must comply
>with the license:
>You could concievably use our software and not credit us and not tell
>us, but then you would have to deal with the snarling killer dogs that
>Hadar hires for his lawers.

  -- therefore you count your companies assets not in patents or copyrights,
but rather in your ability to use and leverage existing technology like
Zope.

> >   On a less related topic... is Frontier( or any of the
> > products listed
> > above) similar to Zope?
>I've never used frontier, so I don't know.  However, I do know that
>Frontier and Zope play well together because they speak a similar
>protocol, XML-RPC.

  -- Is this the new version of Zope you are talking about?
  -- when will this be available for WinNT?

  -- How does digital creations cover the overhead involved for doing things
like packaging releases... coordinating Zope site, ect...

  -- It is my contention that the software industry is moving in the
direction of "Open Source" licensing.  However, I have found that companies
cannot let thier mission-critical systems ride on the development efforts of
three million hobbyists( "a thousand voices" ).  Systems( +languages? ) must
be created to allow for efficient collaboration and Quality Assurance( a
development democracy!!! ).  Do you have any ideas in mind for how this work
could be carried out?

   -- jmz