[Zope-dev] Zope does dynamic, Linux kernel does staticpages?

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 20:44:25 +0000

Amos Latteier wrote:

(snip)
> I would like to add that the response generated by some objects depend on
> the user. So for example we wouldn't want to cache DTML Methods which
> display different data depending on the roles of the user who accessed the
> page.

These are probably pages that don't want to be cached.

> OK, maybe this can be abstracted to say that caching could be tied to
> request environment variables, such as "AUTHENTICATED_USER", and "PATH_INFO".

And cookies....Ugh.

I think it would be best to start with things that are known not to
depend on the request or on other objects like images files, etc.
(Note that this implied public objects.)

I imagine that there might be a knob that a content manager or
programmer could use to give Zope some hints in this regard.

> Presumably caching info would be communicated to ZServer via HTTP headers...

I could imagine object change messages being sent "out of band" from the
database to the cache.

> Another issue is being able to write a cache to the filesystem so that
> other things besides ZServer will be able to serve up cached items. Hmm.

I agree that results should be written to the file system, however, I
don't see a need for other things to get at the files.  Server could use
Medusa's standard file serving logic when results are returned from the cache.

Jim

Technical Director   (888) 344-4332              Python Powered!

repeats.