[Zope-dev] Zope XML-RPC with SQL Methods

David White davew@ed.ray.com
Wed, 23 Jun 1999 09:27:56 -0400

Hi All,

I've been playing around a bit with the recently added XML-RPC support
for Zope, graciously added by Eric Kidd ( Thank you Eric! ) and have been
able to create External Methods and access them remotely from two
different XML-RPC clients ( xmlrpclib in Python and Frontier::Client in
Perl).
This is all VERY cool!

I was then wondering if it would be possible to directly call a SQL Method
from the client and get results ( ok maybe I was reaching too far too quick,
but what the heck I gave it a shot...).  This of course did not work.  I
tried
a variety of different SQL methods (all selects ranging from returning single
result
record to returning multiple record sets).  It seems as though SQL Methods
are
not directly callable from the web, but rather must be referenced from
another
DTML method/document.  When I do try to directly call a SQL Method from the
web it always tries to take me to the 'manage_TestForm' for the method.   It
seems
that 'index_html' always redirects there.

Is there some deep level of Zen for why this must be the case?  Are there
security implications if SQL Methods were directly callable?  It seems to me
that to be able to do:

import xmlrpclib
s = xmlrpclib.Server("http://somemachine.domain/")
result_records = s.method_folder.some_sql_method()

would be just WAY TOO COOL!  What would it take to make SQL methods directly
callable from XML-RPC?  Am I just missing something? (very possible :^)

Thanks in advance,

Dave

David R. White          Raytheon Electronic Systems
Process Support                      (508) 440-2087
528 Boston Post Rd.
Sudbury, MA 01776
davew@ed.ray.com