[Zope-dev] Debugging Products

Michel Pelletier michel@digicool.com
Tue, 29 Jun 1999 11:34:12 -0400

First, if the Product says it's broken, you can look in the Control
Panel, click on the product, and see the traceback that it generated.

Once you can get the Product to not be 'broken' to Zope (but it's still
buggy) you can debug it using the Zope debugger, which is based on the
python debugger.  How you use it though, depends on what version of Zope
your running.  I'll assume you are using the recent stable release,
1.10.3.  Shut down Zope, cd to your lib/python directory, run python,
and then:

>>> import Main, ZPublisher

Now you want to call Zope just like a web request would.  the syntax for
that is:

>>> ZPublisher.Main('/path/to/object', u='userid:password', d=1)

The 'd=1' tells Zope to enter the python debugger.  Without it, the
above call would simulate a request and return the results to you on the
screen.

To learn how to use the Python debugger, refer to www.python.org.

-Michel