[Zope-dev] Have any ideas for aliasing meta type, role name, etc?

Brian Hooper brian@garage.co.jp
Mon, 08 Mar 1999 19:54:05 +0900

Hi there!

"LEE, Kwan Soo" <kslee@plaza1.snu.ac.kr> wrote:

> Hi, Zopistas,
>
> I've been translating Zope frame work into Korean, as I told before and
> almost nobody showed interest.
I'm interested - I'm working on using Zope with Japanese.
Probably we are interested in doing similar things -

> Now what I call KZope seems working, though many dtml files are to be
> translated still.
Great!  I have been translating only the parts which are visible to the
outside (error messages, etc.)

> One possible solution is much further dissociation of "Presentation"
> from "Logic". See the example below from OFS/Folder.py(don't worry of
> strange characters or boxes in <from KZope> column. That is (or was)
> Korean chars)
I agree with this idea - I have been thinking about a different way to
solve it, however.  Specifically, I think that a better way might be to
create a special Product that would define the locale for the system on
a per-directory basis - call this Product ZLocale.  It would consitute
something of an additional, separate API and compliant classes could
implement all of their management interfaces, and even parts of their
content by referring to variables contained in the locale object,
instead of to hard-coded strings embedded in the code (which is easiest
to do but also makes internationalization a pain in the neck).

I haven't thought enough about how this would work yet to implement it
(and implementing it would still mean a lot of work! - I guess the
up-side is that I would get to learn a lot about how Zope works internally)
but there would be a ZLocale class which could be inherited & acquired from
and would define all of the necessary strings.  It would also be cool to
be able to change locale on the fly, or print out documents based on
browser language setting, etc.

Anyways, let's talk more about this!  Good luck!

--brian hooper