[Zope-dev] concerns about the single-threaded nature of zope: large file downloads.

Paul Everitt Paul@digicool.com
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 09:30:13 -0500

Anthony wrote:
> Can someone who understands these things better provide me
> some reassurance?

Well I'm certainly not going to let your qualification prevent me from
flapping my lips!

> If I have a large object inside zope (say for the sake of
> argument a one
> meg audio message) and it's requested by someone who's on a
> godawful link,
> which only gets a couple of Kbytes a second of bandwidth. Is
> Zope going to
> be inaccessible while that file is downloaded?

Nope.  If you are using PCGI, the entire contents are poured into the
PCGI process, which reads it all then trickles it back to the client.
That is, PCGI buffers all I/O.

I believe both ZopeHTTPServer (with threads turned on) and ZServer
behave this way as well.

--Paul