[Zope-dev] ANNOUNCE: The Instance Product Patch

Gregor Hoffleit flight@mathi.uni-heidelberg.de
Sun, 21 Mar 1999 20:42:45 +0100

On Wed, Mar 10, 1999 at 05:40:24PM -0600, Jimmie Houchin wrote:
> Many, many thanks!!! :)
>
> This pretty much does what I asked about in "Zope's Organization for
> Virtual Servers".
>
> Nice, clean seperation of Zope install from the user's database and products.

I wonder if this is going to be included in an upcoming release ?

In CVS I saw that App/Extension.py's getPath has been changed lately:

  "The search takes on multiple homes which are INSTANCE_HOME,
  the directory containing the directory containing SOFTWARE_HOME, and
  possibly product areas."

For systems with package managers (like rpm or deb) it would be nice
to have another product area, a local one.

SOFTWARE_HOME will be something like
/usr/lib/zope/lib/python. /usr/lib is under control of the package
manager and forbidden for manual installations, i.e. a
zope-guestbook.deb might install into
/usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Products, but it is forbidden to untar
guestbook.tar.gz into this directory.

Therefore, if the administrator should be allowed to install
unpackaged products as well, it is necessary to support an additional
product area in the /usr/local tree,
e.g. /usr/local/lib/zope/Products.

I wonder if there is support for adding something like an optional
LOCAL_HOME. If not, the package maintainers will have to add them
unofficially.

	Gregor