[Zope-dev] New Counter Product

Shaw, Howard ShawH@STHS.org
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:40:13 -0600

Well, except for the debugging and the interconnection of the class that
provides the tag with the class providing persistence its almost done,
assuming the Persistent.__setstate__(self,state) call works. BTW, is it
a bad thing for me to modify state, or should I modify a copy of state,
and pass that instead?

What does the list think? Should I just run with Counter as written, or
write the update?

The advantages of the update should be...
 * Compresses updates by a specified amount. I.e. doesn't write to db
until X hits go by
 * Has visible management interface
 * Doesn't clutter up folder properties
 * Has security (You can prevent X from using counters, while allowing Y
to)
 * Separates rendering from recording so rendering can occur in
disparate locations from
   same counter
*  Should be easier to generate separate product with matching interface
that uses SQL
   DB to store info and/or product that stores more info than just the
IP, but use the same
   rendering tag... (I think...)

The disadvantages would be...
 * More complicated source code
 * Requires adding a Counter object AND a tag, rather than just a tag

Howard C. Shaw III
Programmer/SysAdmin
St. Thomas High School