[Zope-dev] Product icon woes

Kent Polk kent@goathill.org
27 May 1999 03:52:27 GMT

On 26 May 1999 17:05:38 GMT, Ty Sarna wrote:
>In article <374C2056.5C4BD9D9@pop.vet.uu.nl>,
>Martijn Faassen  <M.Faassen@vet.uu.nl> wrote:
>> I've done just about everything I've come up with, including breaking
>> the product, to make it use my new icon. But whatever I do, it keeps
>> coming up with that MailHost icon!
>>
>> What am I doing wrong? Is this icon somewhere deep in the Zope database
>> and not coming out? Help would be appreciated.
>
>Many browsers completely ignore caching rules on images and seem to keep
>them forever. one thing you can try (netscape instructions here, adjust

When I wrote the TransGuide map application, I wrote a wrapper
around the map images to include four standard caching hints. I
could not find a single browser which paid any attention whatsoever
to any of the instructions. The only reasonably reliable thing I
could find to do to get them to update the map images was to update
the cache control info in the main document, thus triggering the
document reload and an accompanying image reload most of the time.
Since I was updating the maps, I found that changing the image
filename with the new document further enhanced the chances of
reloading the image. :^) So yes, sometimes (especially with Netscape)
it appears you need to just flush the caches to get it to reload
an image.

Kent