[Zope-dev] RE: [Zope] xmlrpc calls require string results?

Jeff Rush Jeff Rush" <jrush@timecastle.net
Mon, 08 Nov 99 15:29:29 -0500

On Mon, 8 Nov 1999 09:47:52 +1100, gtk wrote:

>That's already in my next draft of the Boring Product How-To, but just for
>the record: why are doc strings enforced? Are they used for anything yet?

Doc strings have been used by ZPublisher since the early days, as a
way of authorizing whether a function is publically visible or not, just as
the leading underscore in a name does.  Why we need two ways?  I
guess there were existing functions w/o the underscore and they needed
an access control mechanism.

The doc strings are not -used- for anything re Zope and although I
like the control it gives you, I've been bitten by omitted doc strings too.
I'd just like a development-time option that makes ZPublisher complain
into a logfile, so I can realize the error of my ways.

Hmm, not a very satisfying answer... maybe DC will give a better one.

-Jeff Rush