[Zope-dev] Zope 2.1.0 beta 1 caution - please read

Brian Lloyd Brian@digicool.com
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 14:42:59 -0500

Hi all -

We (DC) have run across a bug in the 2.1.0 beta that has
given us some grief on the zope.org site, and I wanted to
post a caution to those folks currently using the beta.

In short, if you are doing any ZClass development where
your ZClasses are based on Python base classes that are
still in development (e.g. you are updating the Python
base classes at times), there is a risk of getting a non-
unpicklable object stuck into your object database. While
the sequence of events required to cause this is pretty
arcane, it can potentially be a real pain to recover from.

So, if you are doing active ZClass development in 2.1.0b1 we
strongly suggest that you either go back to 2.0.1 or take
a break until tomorrow or Monday (I hope to have a 2.1.0 b2
ready that resolves this by then). If this is too painful
(or you're hardheaded or just like living on the edge :)
at least be sure to back up your Data.fs regularly just in
case.

Brian Lloyd        brian@digicool.com
Software Engineer  540.371.6909