[Zope-dev] RE: [Zope] xmlrpc calls require string results?

Dan Pierson dan@remote.control.com
Tue, 16 Nov 1999 12:47:19 -0500

> It doesn't have a doc string, and ZPublisher will not publish a method
> that does not have one.

Looks like I missed this, as several people were kind enough to point out.
I've sent mail to Butch asking him if he'd like a patch for Squishdot or
would prefer to add doc strings himself.

> XML-RPC should have better error messages, but it doesn't.  We didn't
> put XML-RPC support into Zope, so you would need to talk to
> the original
> author, Eric Kidd of Userland (http://linux.userland.com/)?,
> or send us
> some patches.

It looks like XML-RPC is trying to do something kind of useful with error
messages.  It would be better if its exception method didn't throw away the
exception type, but that's a minor issue (that I may come up with a patch
for later).  But the exception method always returns an XML-RPC Fault object
-- I'm getting back ProtocolError objects.

Looking at the sources gives me a hint: ZPublisher/Publish.py defines two
methods:
- 'publish_module' catches an exception and uses the response object's
exception methods to handle it.
- 'publish' catches an exception and looks for an 'err_hook' method in the
module_info.

Is it possible that publish is being used where the author of xmlrpc.py
expected publish_module?  If so, what/where would need to be changed to
create an err_hook to handle this?