[Zope-dev] Best way to email a newsletter to thousands of recipients from a Zope site Zope site

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:55:00 -0500

On 11/24/99 7:27 PM, Itai Tavor at itavor@bigpond.net.au wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I need to add a newsletter feature to a Zope site. Interested people
> will be able to register their email addresses, and the newsletter
> will be mailed to all addresses every 1-2 weeks. The number of
> recipients could potentially have 4 zeroes in it (and no, it won't be
> 0000).

This isn't that large for a one-way mailing.

> What would be the best way to do the mailing? Use mailhost with a
> very long recipient list? Call mailhost once for every recipient? Use
> some external tool to do the mailing?

Gads, I'd never use mailhost  for this kind of thing :-)

I would recommend two seperate issues be address:

1. Find a mailer that's reasonably fast (Sendmail is "ok", but Postfix is
10x faster in my testing, and Qmail is close to that.  I prefer Postfix
because of the author's reputation in the security world.)

2. Build the list of people to be mailed to.  You really don't need a MLM
for this, although surely you could use one.  It won't add a whole lot of
value.  You might look at the bulk-mailer code for Majordomo or Mailman
however.  I'd feed it with a flat file that you build when you want to mail
things out.  Or I'd use an external relational database to maintain this.
Either way is pretty easy.

Chris