[Zope-dev] Re: [DB-SIG] Re: [Zope-dev] Prototype Zope mxODBC DA

M.-A. Lemburg mal@lemburg.com
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 10:20:00 +0200

Christopher Petrilli wrote:

> BTW, I didn't mean to imply that what you've done isn't useful, it's simply
> incompatible with the direction we're taking.  This is somewhat discussed in
> my roadmap.  If you'd like to maintain the interface that you're talking
> about, then that'd be excellent.

In what way is it incompatible ? mxODBC is DB API compliant in most parts
and has lots of useful extensions such as the ODBC catalog functions. The
interface itself is thread safe and thread friendly. Of course, whether
a certain ODBC driver is depends on the driver.

> As for thread-safety, this would require more complete understanding, and
> having never used mxODBC, I can't speak to its safety (which is also
> dependent on the drivers).
>
> Note that mxODBC has an incompatible license to ours.

True. mxODBC is not 100% true Open Source even though you do get
to see the source code. In fact the license is going to be changed
to a classical "pay for commercial, free for non-commercial use"
one in one of the next versions to help finance further development
(I'm planning to take the PythonWare approach here: cheap but not
free). The main focus will then be to make mxODBC faster, more
flexible and to provide some useful add-ons.

FYI, mxODBC currently works with these database drivers/managers:
Adabas - Informix - MySQL - PostgreSQL - Oracle - Solid -
Sybase - Windows ODBC Manager - Unix iODBC Driver Manager -
Linux unixODBC Driver Manager - EasySoft ODBC Bridge -
OpenLink ODBC drivers - Intersolv ODBC drivers
+ virtually any database supported by one of the listed ODBC
managers.

IBM DB2 is on the wish list. It should work just fine once I get
the linkage problems settled.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
Y2000:                                                    80 days left