[Zope-dev] Re: [DB-SIG] Re: [Zope-dev] Prototype Zope mxODBC DA

Christopher Petrilli petrilli@digicool.com
Tue, 12 Oct 1999 13:48:00 -0400

>> We are abandoning the use of DB-API interfaces for our own use simply
>> because they have proven to be of little value in getting things running.
>
> Why is that ? The DB API is intended to be of general use, how can Zope
> be so much different ?
>
>> In addition, their behavioral assumptions are sometimes quite incompatible
>> with Zope requirements.  Jim Fulton can better speak to this.  We're now
>> doing a more "thin shim" approach, and not going anywhere near the DB-API or
>> SWIG.
>
> Oh well, then I guess you're on your own. I would have rather liked
> to see more native DB-API style interfaces appear than incompatible
> thin layer new ones.

It's a combination of paradigm matching as well as the fact that DCOracle
generates a HUGE number of support requests that we simply don't have the
energy to deal with.  Now, having said that, the design we use (which is a
thin shim of C with 99% in Python) is entirely usable for writing a DB-API
layer on TOP of, we simply have no value in that right now.  This doesn't
mean that some enterprising individual couldn't write one and support it
themselves.

> ODBC is not really all that bad -- at least not always. It gives you
> database flexibility and portability that no other standard has achieved
> over the years, not even the later ones pushed by MS.

We see X/Open CLI as the interesting target, rather than ODBC.  ODBC is a
derivative now, as opposed to the source.  And for our needs, X/Open CLI
provides everything except BLOB support.

Chris