[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Question about ZODB and threads

Pavlos Christoforou pavlos@gaaros.msrc.sunysb.edu
Thu, 14 Oct 1999 19:24:38 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 Oct 1999, Stuart 'Zen' Bishop wrote:

> Attributes that start with _v_ are volatile, and not stored in the
> database. If you have a class level _v_ attribute, and modify it, will
> the object be dirty and committed to the DB?

No, but I am not sure whether such a change will be visible from the other
threads. I think no change would be visible to any other thread unless it
is commited.

> A package level variable will also probably do what you want - if you
> want instance specific data you would need to use some funky dictionary
> arrangement protected by semaphores of some kind.

Yes, I guess you are right. I was trying to avoid dealing with threading
programming, and use some Zope trick that already deals with threading
issues. The Zen way is to let Jim do the hard work ...

Thanks

Pavlos