[Zope-dev] (slightly offtopic): [Zope-dev] UML information

Anthony Pfrunder s341625@student.uq.edu.au
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:39:02 +1000 (GMT+1000)

On Wed, 20 Oct 1999, Alexander Staubo wrote:

> You guys at Digital Creations have done UML modeling in the process of
> building Zope. Can you recommend any good books or resources on the
> topic?

[snippy snip]

You may wish to look at StarOffice (that really cool piece of free
software from Sun).  I've just completed modelling a robotics navigation
system in it and it rocks! It has the connector things from Visio and
gives you lots of options to make them look pretty.  You can also assign
objects to pictures so that when you click on it you can zoom in.  It
supports OpenGL pictures of objects (rotating etc) to keep your pet
marketdroid happy.

If you place the diagrams in either StarWriter or StarPresent then you can
export directly to HTML+GIF files (with frames for navigation).

It doesn't have the official UML symbols but it is child's play to make
them (and when you bind 'em together you can still edit the text).

For an "official" UML tool check out dia at your favorate GNOME
application portel.  Dia gives you all the UML symbols and explicit
support for what appears to be UML standard (disclaimer: I've never used
full UML myself).  It is alpha so it may not suit your needs.  However,
since it supports XML as its file format a little Zope magic will provide
you with web output.

PS: Let me know if you find a good introduction to UML modelling.  Lets
hope its not Z-like (Z is a horrid specification language I have to use)

Cheers,

Anthony Pfrunder