[Zope-dev] API for creating sub-ZODBs

Andrew M. Kuchling akuchlin@mems-exchange.org
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 11:18:07 -0400 (EDT)

Jim Fulton writes:
>It is.  After your through with the object, you should
>close the connection.

Maybe it should return the connection instead, then, so the caller can
retrieve the root object, do whatever with it, and then close the
connection.

>Which job? What part do you want to automate?

Checking whether the Storage for this ZODB has already been opened,
and ensuring that everything is neatly cleaned up when you're done.

>What do you intend to do with the objects you get this way?

Whatever you like -- call methods on them, mostly, and possibly modify
them.  The two applications I have in mind are, first, the massive
Open Directory Project tree, and second, persistent session tracking
that would survive a Zope crash or system reboot (needed when people
are assembling sequences of process fabrication steps).  In the first
case, the database is read-only; in the second case, a non-versioning
storage can be used, because we don't want to track every single edit.

Mind you, I'm not wild about computers myself, but they are a tool. If you
have a tool, it's stupid not to use it.
    -- The Doctor, in "Inferno"