[Zope-dev] Re: XML Roadmap (Fwd: [XML-SIG] Hello)

Alexandre Ratti alex@gabuzomeu.net
Sun, 31 Oct 1999 19:46:45 +0100

Hello,

At 12:00 30/10/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>From: Vladimir Marangozov <Vladimir.Marangozov@inrialpes.fr>
>Subject: Re: [Zope-dev] XML Roadmap (Fwd: [XML-SIG] Hello)
>Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 21:40:18 +0100 (NFT)
>
>(snip)
>The second thing I'm volunteering for now is to translate all user messages
>to french and try to decouple the messages from the code. This would already
>be an improvement. Others could provide a translation for other languages.

Vladimir, this is an interesting prospect. I'm French and a translator, so
maybe I could give you a hand when translating or proofreading.

I gave it some thought already because I'm trying to convince a French
organization to use Zope. If they agree, they'd be better off with a
localized version.

I wonder how to go about it: for instance, one could use a script to
extract localizable strings for the source files (with suitable context
information such as file name and possibly def name) and create a glossary.
After translation the glossary would be applied back on the sources with
another script.

This would make it easy to
- translate to other languages;
- translate new Zope versions;
- create a glossary to ensure consistency eg. when translating products.

That's how I usually translate resource files for Windows apps (eg. .dlg
files).

Or do you plan to modify the US sources to store messages outside of code,
in special files (eg. stringtables in Windows apps)?

Feel free to get in touch if you want to discuss it.

Cheers.

Alexandre