[Zope-dev] Re: [Zope] Barriers to Zope popularity: Part 1: wysiwig editing wysiwig editing editing wysiwig editing

Martijn Pieters mj@antraciet.nl
Thu, 23 Sep 1999 21:59:12 +0200

At 21:35 23-9-99 , jonathon wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Martijn Pieters wrote:
>
> >At 03:50 23/09/99 , Dody Gunawinata wrote:
> >>I think "DOCUMENTATION" is more than anything else, the greatest barrier
> >>to people using Zope.
>         << paragraphs deleted >>
> >>Much of the documentation is designed with *advance* developers in mind.
> >>It's time for Zope for Dummies.
>
> >What many people forget here is that Zope is a Web Application Platform. It
> >is, first and foremost, designed as a framework for applications.
>
>         That doesn't negate the need for Documentation.
>
> >marshalling of variable types and RDBMS integration, Zope makes one heck of
> >a Web Application Platform.
>
>         True.  To use a Web Application Platform, one has to know the tools.
>         The easy way to find out what those tools are, and how to use them,
>         is by going through the documentation.
>
> >Zope was designed for Web Application Developers, not designers. The
> >documentation follows this design. I actually feel that dummies should stay
>
>         If one is an experienced Web Application Developer, the
>         documentation _might_ be, but probably isn't acceptable.
>
>         If one is supposed to manage the content on a website, and
>         not an experienced Web Application developer, the documentation
>         is at best, inadequate.
>
> >away from Zope. Frontpage is for dummies.
>
>         What has Frontpage to do with Zope?  They are completely different
>         applications.
>
>         One other point:
>                 Documentation can never contain too many examples.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I was ranting on about the WISYWIG tools, like
Frontpage. My experience is that people are overlooking the fact that Zope
is not an alternative FP Server-side extensions.

--
Martijn Pieters, Web Developer