[Zope-dev] Re: Australia/NSW timezone support

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 10:50:25 +1000 (EST)

[Redirected to zope-dev for discussion]

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Chris Allen wrote:

> Australian Zope users may be interested in some updates which add timezone
> data for Australia/NSW (including daylight savings periods) and corrects a
> "US/Eastern" problem.  For further information see:
>
> http://www.zope.org/Members/kmem/tz_aus
>
> Maybe they will eventually find their way into the actual Zope product :o)

Are you trying to get me lynched? Dang northerners are always looking for
trouble :-)

$ date
Thu Sep 30 09:16:53 EST 1999
$ echo $TZ
Australia/Victoria

I think Australia/Tazmania is also EST, but they probably wouldn't notice :-)

I wonder if the following would work?
    On module initialization, if the TZ environemnt variable exists
    override the hardcoded mappings so that the short form maps correctly
    to the long form
This would work on my Solaris boxes out of the box, but would require
setting the variable under other operating systems such as NetBSD
and NT.

Oh dear - I was going to check http://www.vic.gov.au to see if EST is
eastern standard time or eastern savings time down here. Unfortunatly,
this web address is an automatic redirect to itself, which is a wonderful
comment on the current state of our gov :-)

 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
  // E N  Senior Systems Alchemist      Play: zen@shangri-la.dropbear.id.au
 //__     Computer Science, RMIT 	 WWW: http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/~zen