[Zope-dev] VisualStudio Product ideas

Amos Latteier amos@aracnet.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 00:47:12 -0700

Sounds like XMLWidgets and VisualStudio have some similar ideas. Both sound
great!

I really like the idea of building simpler and smarter ways to construct
pages, rather than hard coding all the HTML.

The idea of smart web page widgets has been floating around for a while.
I'd love to see it really take off.

In addition, if there was a more high level way of describing a page, it
might be feasible to get something like a wxWindows client via XML-RPC (!).

>Perhaps we can merge some of the ideas of XMLWidgets and VisualStudio
>together, though.

>If we could get all this GUI type work (XMLWidgets, VisualStudio,
>Formulator) into somekind of unified framework that is Zopish, that
>would be very nice. I don't have any clear clues on how to do this,
>however. :)

This sounds very exciting.

>Did anybody install and try XMLWidgets yet? Did it work at all? :)

Yes, and no.

It seems that the XMLWidget python product clashes with the XMLWidget
imported Product...  'The id XMLWidgets is invalid - it is already in use.'

XMLWidgets sound very cool. I'd love to get them working and take a closer
look.

In fact they remind me of something I posted to the bobo list a long time ago.

  http://www.egroups.com/group/bobo/129.html

Oh, and take a look at this post mentioning widgets by Jim,

  http://www.egroups.com/group/bobo/421.html

Wow, early 1998 seems like ancient history ;-) You've come a long way, Zope!

-Amos