[Zope-dev] Using Zope as replacement for BSCW ?

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:08:50 +0200

Hi!

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 12:58:58PM +0200, Tom Deprez wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know BSCW, but looking at the description, I think it will go very
> swiftly because all the given features are standard in Zope.

I was also thinking about doing some groupware stuff in Zope but
actually there are differences ;-)

First of all Zope's main job is web publishing (sort of) and thus some
features which you have in BSCW are missing in vanilla Zope.
Some things which come to mind are:
- you don't have notification
- the user interface might be a bit more complicated
- object sharing is not that easy as it is in BSCW

The last point of course depends on what you need. Basically in Zope
you have one directory tree and can give rights for objects (also subdirs)
to other people. You don't have actually an home directory for each user.
In BSCW on the other hand you have an homedir for each user and if you
decide to share an object, a link to this object is simply put into the other
users homedirectory.
So it depends on whether you need some private space for your users or not.

Basically one can say that BSCW is somewhat more tailored to the actual
needs for collaborative work.

I am also thinking about how to implement groupware in Zope (as I have
written GROUP.lounge (www.grouplounge.net) I am now wondering how to
port this ;-). But I will not try vanilla Zope but instead I want
to write some products etc. to do the things I want.
And one of my requirements is e.g. to have one homedir for each user
thus I might have to create some sort of new user management.

Well, and actually I am quite new to Zope thus I don't know all the
secrets so don't take the above for the ultimate wisdom ;-)

best,
  Christian

--
COM.lounge                                          http://comlounge.net/