[Zope-dev] Versions without version objects...

Chris Withers chrisw@nipltd.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:10:08 +0100

It strikes me as strange that you can create versions without creating version objects.

I found this out whilst playing with the versioned FTP How-To:

http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/howto/VersionFTPServer

Now because I got the name of the version wrong in  z2.py (I missed off the leading /!) it created a
seperate version. It seemed to work fine, it's just that there was no associated version object.
So I couldn't actually do anything with the version through the management interface, except save or
discard changes in Control Panel/Manage Versions. And, thinking about it, there's no way I could
delete the version object (that is if one was ever created anywhere...)

Is this behaviour as it is supposed to be?

If it is, then [1194] in the collector is definitely a bug, and the versions in that list shouldn't
have HREF's at all, because there might not even be an object to link to.

If versions should have a version object associated with them, then accidental version creation
through things like FTP/XML-RPC/etc needs to be prevented. Also, the version objects returned by
db.versions() in version_info in ApplicationManager.py should implement absolute_url(). That would
solve the problem in bug [1194].

Any comments? Any ideas? I'm chucking this into the collector as well, just so it doesn't get
lost...

Chris