[Zope-dev] Using Zope as replacement for BSCW ?

Christian Scholz cs@comlounge.net
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 23:13:50 +0200

Hi!

On Wed, Apr 19, 2000 at 02:31:36PM +0200, Tom Deprez wrote:
> >> What sort of notification you want to have?
> >
> >Well, BSCW shows it in the web interfaces, e.g.
> >"updated by xxx at yyy" and you can commit it via a button.
>
> mmm... you can see all modifications which are done (by author) in the
> undo-tab. Of course not the total thing you need. (It is already committed,
> etc)

I think that I don't want to use the standard management interface.
Also the data should be stored inside a SQL database and not in the
ZODB (at least this should be possible).
The reason for using a management interface of it's own is simply because
it's more flexible and maybe also themeable.

I've also looked at the PTK now (the reason why I did not get it installed
was simple: I always tried to import DemoPortal.zexp in the wrong
folder, not in the Products folder. ).
So in PTK I have different user folders, that's right. But the problem
is that I cannot share them between users as BSCW or GROUP.lounge can do.

E.g. user A has an folder object /userA/f1/f2/f3/folderA

and wants to share it with user B. Im BSCW and GL user A now invites
user B to his folderA. The result is that user B also has this folder
in his homedirectory: /userB/folderA
user B can also move around this folder and it's still accessible
from both points.

Thus the folder needs to know about it's members. So maybe an addition
is needed here. Or maybe it's working with some sort of redirection (though
this makes problems when user A moves the folder around.. Thus a two-way
link is needed.) This also gets more complicated when even more users
are invited to this folder.

So, right now I am still playing around with this all and I've also done
my first test product simply to get a feel for it :)

best,
  Christian