[Zope-dev] remote procedure calls to manage functions

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 07:59:05 -0400

Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:

> Jim Fulton wrote:
>
> > > It's not really favored, both are quite useful.  xml-rpc is more for
> > > when you want two different system to interoperate.  ZClient is very
> > > zope specific and probably gives you a bit more functionality than
> > > xml-rpc (because it has the 'remote object' abstraction).
> >
> > I don't think ZClient is really Zope specific. At least
> > it's not supposed to be.  It does have a richer API, including
> > features like authentication and header support.
>
> The problem I have with ZClient is that the result of method calls is always
> a string - while with XML-RPC I can get lists/dictionaries/integers, if
> that's what the method returned.

I didn't claim that it was better for RPC, but that it simply wasn't
Zope specific and has some features that XML-RPC lacks. Frankly, I'd
very much like to see the missing features in CML-RPC or SOAP.

Jim

repeats.