[Zope-dev] Cache-bug in handling of files

Mon, 14 Aug 2000 09:54:09 +0100

On Mon, 14 Aug 2000 10:01:03 +0200, Peter Arvidsson
<peter@innodev.com> wrote:

>So there is nothing else I can do but to make my files open in a new
>window then...
>
>But what I dont understand is why IE doesnt send any If-Modified-Since
>header? Shouldnt it always do that if the settings are not set to never
>update cached files?

Browser dont spontaneously generate If-Modified-Since - only if you
include a Last-Modified header in the original response (Im not
entirely sure whether or not they are allowed to)

Note that Brian was observing that IE was not sending any request to
the server - any request (even one that includes cache control
headers) is going to involve a performance hit.

Brian: could you repeat your test including the header
cache-control: must-revalidate
This certainly *should* have the desired effect of not letting IE
display stale data.

Ive covered the use of this header in some detail in a recent HowTo:
http://www.zope.org/Members/htrd/howto/caching

Toby Dickenson
tdickenson@geminidataloggers.com