[Zope-dev] Turning acquisition off selectively.

Jim Fulton jim@digicool.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:43:49 -0500

Toby Dickenson wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Dec 2000 10:57:48 -0500, Jim Fulton <jim@digicool.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I'm inclined to think that in some future version of Zope, we
> >should switch to making explicit acquisition the norm.
>
> Jim, do you have any opinions on some of the other acquisition
> strategies that have been mentioned on the list?

I don't have time to read the list normally. :(
(This is bad. I need to fix this and am trying to ....)

> In particular, there seems to be merit in an acquisition that searches
> only the containment heirarchy.

Of course. Zope already doesn this for security.  It does this
by brute force most of the time, although there's now more API
support for it. There's a 'containment' keyword flag argument
to the aq_acquire method, so, at least from Python, you can
force acquisition to search *only* the containment hierarchy.

I think that there's merit to providing more control over how
acquisition happens. This is consistent with making acquisition
more explicit.

Jim