[Zope-dev] Login updating database (so ZEO is slow)

Bjorn Stabell bjorn@exoweb.net
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:21:33 +0800

Hi,

We've been experimenting with ZEO for a few months.  The intended use is
to have a ZEO client on our LAN, one on the Internet backbone in China,
and one in the US, but there are two problems preventing us from using
it:

1. updates are very slow, slower than accessing the ZEO client closest
to the ZEO server directly

2. logging in updates the database, so they are consequently also very
slow

(in addition: to use it well we need a distributed director, and
atomically updating a set of ZEO installations is not trivial.)

Why does logins update the database?  Is there any way to turn that off
easily?

We tested running the ZEO server on our LAN, and the ZEO client on the
backbone of the Internet, communicating over a 64kbps DDN line...  It
took several minutes to log in! :)  Most people thought our server had
crashed.

Would it be possible to support asynchronous updates (optimistic
locking) and conflict resolution in the future, allowing for no wait
time?  (sort-of like Notes and CVS)

Bye,
--
Bjorn <bjorn@exoweb.net>