[Zope-dev] Is ODBC the way to go ?

Richard Moon richard@dcs.co.uk
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 10:26:54 +0000

Hi Chris

You asked if I had any non-philosophical objections to Openlink and I have
to say no I don't  - it's a good product. I've been using Openlink
multi-tier for several years now on several clients sites and it has
behaved faultlessly. We have found that upgrades are easy and smooth.
Support is truly excellent as well - even if you are running the no-cost
licence.

I don't have much information on performance as we use native Informix
connections for our programs. Openlink is used by Access and Excel users
mainly - on an occasional basis -though we have not experienced any
noticeable performance problems. Because we are only using ODBC for
read-only selects on the database I cannot comment on how well it supports
all the features which Informix provides.

Is it likely that in the near future you will be releasing ZODBC on non
Win32 clients ?

As for your 'troubling predicament' comment - don't forget that Informix
was around long before open source was thought of - as was I :-). I don't
see that because we are starting from a given point, we should not try to
move in a preferred direction.

Regards

Richard

Richard Moon