[Zope-dev] Proposed solution for ZODB woes

Kevin Dangoor kid@kendermedia.com
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:37:38 -0500

Though I admit that I'm not familiar with the inner workings of this part of
Zope, I have a feeling that what you're suggesting is a lot of work. There
is an existing alternative right now in the form of SQL databases. Just
store any of your frequently changing things (hit counters and the like) in
there.

Yes, I know that's not very Zopish though. Two more possibilities:

1) Longer term, Jim has talked about being able to use multiple storages
simultaneously. This would allow you to set up one storage for your
frequently changing stuff and one for your less frequently changing things.

2) Or, implement a new storage (maybe an SQL storage). There's already
Berkeley Storage, which doesn't have the growth issue of FileSystem, but
also doesn't support versions and undo. If you make a storage that attaches
to Postgres, you can probably get everything.

Gotta love a system as extensible as Zope :)

Kevin