[Zope-dev] ASP vs Zope vs PHP vs ..?

Michael Waddell mwaddell@mwdb.com
Fri, 07 Jan 2000 01:00:03 -0500

I'm an ASP/VB/Site Server developer looking for an alternative. Zope is
very appealing -- it looks like a great tool supported by a great
community. And I've enjoyed looking at and playing with Python.

But, I'm uncomfortable with loosing touch with an actual HTML/ASP document
in an actual file system. I feel weird about the URL that Zope presents -
there's no simple file name reference, like, http://www.abc.com/mypage.asp
or http://www.abc.com/mypage2.html.  Sorry, but my web experience expects
that.

1. Where can I learn how others have handled the transition from page-based
publishing to Zope's object-based paradigm?

2. How do you create/maintain the look of the site? Doesn't seem feasible
using the Zope control panel. I prefer using HomeSite (Allaire) for coding
HTML, ASP and any text file. MacroMedia DreamWeaver for complex HTML
design/layout. And I like using MS SQL Server (although I could be
converted..) to support data-driven web sites. How do I integrate these
products with Zope (if at all). The HTML page editing/layout features of
Zope are not clear to me.

Thanks for aiding in my evaluation.
Regards,
Michael Waddell