[Zope-dev] ZFormulator review...

Tres Seaver tseaver@palladion.com
Sun, 09 Jan 2000 21:18:02 -0600

"Stuart 'Zen' Bishop" <zen@cs.rmit.edu.au> wrote

> On Sat, 8 Jan 2000, Chris McDonough wrote:
>
> > - Martijn includes a .zexp file for demo purposes in the product which
> > gets placed into the import directory upon untarring the product file.
> > I think this is OK, but I wonder if anybody else has thoughts on the
> > implications of placing stuff into directories other than the intended
> > product directory within a product tarball?  For instance, I would
> > consider it bad form for a Product to expand something into the
> > lib/python/OFS directory.  Others might disagree.  What about products
> > just going right ahead and creating instances of their classes within
> > the ZODB upon installation?  Or products automatically importing demo
> > .zexp (or equivalent) files into the App object?  Bad form or no?
>
> Apart from /Products and /Extensions (for external methods) and
> /usr/lib/Products (for python code), you will occasionally need a .zexp
> file to complete installation. For example, a product that is a mixture
> of ZClasses and External methods would probably be packed up in a
> tarball that puts the external methods in the correct place, and places
> a .zexp file in your import directory to create the ZClasses.

Hmm, I think the "file location" mechanism for ExternalMethods was changed
recently to allow product developers to put external methods in an 'Extensions'
subdirectory under their product (this was always supposed to work, according to
the docs, but didn't;  now, it does).  Could we use the same logic for imports,
such that typing 'FooProduct.demo.zexp' would check an 'import' directory under
'FooProduct'?

Tres Seaver         tseaver@palladion.com    713-523-6582
Palladion Software  http://www.palladion.com