[Zope-dev] simple revision control(?) for Data.fs.

Evan Gibson egibson@connect.com.au
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 14:11:21 +1100

On Wed, Jan 12, 2000 at 02:04:31PM +1100, Anthony Baxter wrote:
> Hiya,
> I plan to write something that will do 'daily' (or whatever) archiving of
> Data.fs, by using a fairly simple algorithm:
>
> start:
>     store file, size
>
> incremental:
>     if new_size < size:
> 	store complete new file, size # pack operation has happened.
>     else:
> 	store all bytes from size to new_size
>
> This should allow me to reconstruct the Data.fs at any given point...
> can anyone see any problems with this?

What if someone packed their database and then did heaps of changes so that
the size was bigger than it was before the packing?

You'd have to add extra checking that, if it was bigger, the first "size"
bytes are the same in both files.

> Anthony

The other Evan.

--
  Evan ~ThunderFoot~ Gibson    ~ nihil mutatem, omni deletum ~
      May the machines watch over you with loving grace.