[Zope-dev] simple revision control(?) for Data.fs.

Stuart 'Zen' Bishop zen@cs.rmit.edu.au
Wed, 12 Jan 2000 17:52:39 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, Anthony Baxter wrote:

> more to the point: will it allow me to say 'give me the data.fs file as
> it was at 2000/01/05, 5am'[*] ? The code I've just about finished will
> do this, and it also only stores deltas between files (unless the md5
> changes, or the file shrinks, in which case it writes a full file).
>
> I also plan to support gzipping the data files in the repository. Once
> this is done, I'll be running it 12-hourly here to allow us some recovery
> to any cases of screwups.

A 'quick hack' method of doing this would be to ascii encode your
data.fs (uuencode, base64 - anything as long as you have line feeds)
and use RCS to handle all the deltas.

Or you could buy a Netapp and use the built-in snapshot facilities :-)

--
 ___
   //     Zen (alias Stuart Bishop)     Work: zen@cs.rmit.edu.au