[Zope-dev] LICENSE.txt: license has been certified as Open Source(tm)?

Hadar Pedhazur hadar@opticality.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 10:01:40 -0500

Hi Holger. You are correct that the (tm) was put in there a
_long_ time ago, when it seemed that they might be able to
get a trademark for it.

As for "who" certified it, it was Bruce Perens, one of the
original founders of OSI.

We believe we have adapted (from Apache's license) one of
the broadest and simplest licenses in this space.

One of the problems with updating the license (even to
remove the tm!), is that people start to become suspicious
that over time we intend to "tighten" the license, which we
do not intend to do. Still, pehaps a minor tweak in the near
future is in order :-).

-----Original Message-----
From: holger@zentral.iserver.net [mailto:holger@zentral.iserver.net]On
Behalf Of Holger Blasum
Sent: Friday, January 21, 2000 5:58 AM
To: zope-dev@zope.org
Subject: [Zope-dev] LICENSE.txt: license has been certified as Open
Source(tm)?

Hi,

zope is exciting. Closely before becoming too enamoured, let me ask
a newbie question (possibly FAQ) for clarification on this (obvious)
snippet...

LICENSE.txt

>Zope Public License (ZPL) Version 1.0
>-------------------------------------
>
>Copyright (c) Digital Creations.  All rights reserved.
>
>This license has been certified as Open Source(tm).

(tm) - Uhh, well Open Source is not a trademark:

 "``Open Source'' is not and cannot become a trademark."
 Eric S. Raymond, President, President Board of Directors, OSI
 (OSI had previously applied for it) 16 June 1999
(http://www.opensource.org/press_releases/certified-open-source.html)

But maybe this when LICENSE.txt was written in the dark ages where OSI
still applied for that trademark, so perhaps it was intended to mean
"certified by OSI" ?

Or whom or what has been the certifier mentioned in the license (I feel
not sure whether par. 5 would pass very strict criteria, but on the
other hand par. 7 alleviates it) ?

Again let me emphasize that I think Digital Creations is doing a really
cool job; this is not necessarily political overcorrectness (but might
be of some importance for the marketing guys if we go for it), just
being curious, ;-)

--
Holger Blasum
80336 Muenchen, Germany