[Zope-dev] Zope Futures discussion: your input

Federico Di Gregorio fog@mixadlive.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 14:53:27 +0100

Scavenging the mail folder uncovered Chris McDonough's letter:
> My opinion, for what its worth, is that DTML is valuable because it lets
> non-Python programmers have a crack at building simple dynamic pages in
> an environment that they're familiar with (ie. in the context and style
> of HTML).  But I do think that we've possibly allowed DTML to overstep
> its bounds as a reporting language, and now we've got people trying to
> make it do things that could be infinitely better handled in Python.

I completely agree.

> But we've also got external methods and Evan Simpson has contributed
                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Talking about external methods I have a little problem with them: every
time a method outputs to stdout zope bombs and you have to restart it.
So we have to put try/except clauses around anything when an exception
logged somewere would be much better in debugging the method. It is a
problem of my installation, a known one or a feature?

> Python Methods.  So I think we're slowly reaching a point where Zope is
> an ideal environment for Python programmers and a less ideal but still
> very usable environment for non-Python programmers.  I would suggest
> giving both tools a workout.

i'll investigate Python Methods. and, from *my* point of view a more
python-programmer oriented zope is better than a simplier but less
powerfull one. IMHO; off course.

> I also would suggest that if you've got the time, we could definitely
> use your help simplifying Zope in other ways.  For example, both the
> Zope Mozilla Initiative and the Zope Documentation Project could use
> reliable expert help.  Both projects are extremely interesting too.

apart from my involvement in debian, i work for a company commited to
free software. we use zope extensively and we'll surely give back to the
community any patch/improvment/documentation we produce.

ciao and thank you again,
federico

--
Federico Di Gregorio