[Zope-dev] Product Data Storage

Monty Taylor mtaylor@goldridge.net
Mon, 03 Jul 2000 18:16:05 GMT

Just my $0.02 worth...

If you can at all avoid it, I think you should find a way to store it in
the ZODB.
Maybe a Configuration product that would allow you to create arbitrary
configuration information and still be able to access it without making
filesystem calls. Think about DC's Zope on a CD demo. Not that you really
need to do that sort of thing, but it's really not going to work if you
have to write stuff to the filesystem.

Actually, an XML Docment somewhere at root level should give you the kind
of flexibility you're looking for. Lot's of people are using XML files
for conf these days (they're all jumping... don't you want to...)

That being said, I totally agree that if you need to store something in a
file, put it in Zope/var. I, for one, have my Zope application code on
partition along with other apps, and the data, like Data.fs on another. I
typically don't expect the apps partition to grow very much, or very
often, In fact, only when I install something. So it would be quite
shocking to have that space filling unexpectedly.

But, as always, the choice is completely up to you.

Monty

On 6/30/00, 3:27:42 PM, Dan "L." Pierson <dan@sol.control.com> wrote
regarding [Zope-dev] Product Data Storage: