[Zope-dev] Proposed interface: Restricted creation

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Wed, 05 Jul 2000 19:55:12 -0500

At 12:01 PM 7/5/00 -0400, Shane Hathaway wrote:
>Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
>> I propose a Restricted Creation Interface - when an ObjectManager
constructs
>> it's Add list in manage_main, it first checks with each addable class if
>> it's instances can be added in this specific ObjectManager.
>
>The place where this is needed most (IMHO) is for ZClass factories.  So
>there needs to be a way to create meta type filters through the Web.
>
>On the other hand, the plugins framework by Phillip Eby solves this
>problem in a nice way.  I'm hoping to eventually modify the plugins
>framework so it's more accessible for ZClass development.

I am too.  :)  If you have any ideas on how to make a ZClass constructor
object that could work with PlugIns, I'm all ears.  Right now, PlugIns have
to be Python classes, although I think that it might be possible to make
the PlugIn registry walk the entire ZClass registry, looking for things
with a __plugin_kind__.  That's something I'll want to look into when I get
a chance.

If you'd like to champion getting PlugIns into Zope as a standard feature,
I am willing to contribute the code for ZPL use.  Personally, given the
small handful of other things I'd like to do to polish off PlugIns (such as
documentation), I'm not sure now is the right time for making such a
transition.