[Zope-dev] zope and UNIX permissions

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Mon, 10 Jul 2000 22:54:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 10 Jul 2000, Chris McDonough wrote:
> Which files?  Know that if you untar as root, the files will be 'owned'
> by whoever tarred it up on our side.  Untar it as a normal user.  Reset
> the permissions of the ones you find too permissive.  Then let us know
> so we can change the distribution.

On FreeBSD at least, this is not true.  Unless you specify the 'p'
(preserve) flag, untaring as root will leave all the files owned
by root.  I just untared the b4 source distrabution, and the file
permissions all look good to me.

The original poster mentioned an RPM and looking for a source release,
so perhaps the problem is with the RPM.

--RDM