[Zope-dev] The Application object

Jeff K. Hoffman jeff.hoffman@goingv.com
Mon, 17 Jul 2000 13:10:37 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Shane Hathaway wrote:

> The way to get the root application object is to open a connection to
> the ZODB and get the 'Application' object from the list of root
> objects.  There is an easy shortcut:
>
> import Zope
> app = Zope.app()
>
> app now refers to a *copy* of the root Application object.

Yeehaw, that worked! I was so close. :-)

> When you're done modifying it and its descendants you have to commit or
> abort the transaction.

[snip]

Do I need to commit or abort even if I don't make changes to the
application object? The only thing I need it for is to get to the
Control_Panel; I am instantiating ZClass instances in the constructor of a
Python class, i.e.:

class MyClass:

  def __init__(self, id, title=''):
      import Zope
      app = Zope.app()

      ob = app.Control_Panel.Products.MyProduct.MyZClass('newId')
      ob.id = 'newId'

      self._setObject('newId', ob)

      # Do I need a get_transaction().abort() here? Will that not abort
      # the wrong transaction?

      app._p_jar.close()

> This gives you all kinds of benefits like undo and elimination of
> threading conflicts.

[snip]

Good stuff. Thanks, Shane.

> Shane

--Jeff

---
Jeff K. Hoffman                               704.849.0731 x108
Chief Technology Officer                      mailto:jeff.hoffman@goingv.com
Going Virtual, L.L.C.                         http://www.goingv.com/