[Zope-dev] Online Docs

Chris McDonough chrism@digicool.com
Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:06:56 -0400

This is pretty nice... the current Zope help system does something
vaguely similar (at a less granular level) inasmuch as Product
developers can associate help pages with views or with arbitrary other
topics.   It might make sense for us to build a hook in the help system
whereby developers could easily register new homogenous help pages for
method definitions level by calling:

helpsystem.addMethodHelpTopic(productname, filename, classname,
methodname, description)

or something even simpler like:

helpsystem.addMethodHelpTopic(productname, methodobject)

...which introspected on the method object and "did the right thing".

This would be a pretty cool feature, IMHO.  I think we're at a stopping
point in the development of help system stuff, but I'd definitely add
this to the docs wiki at http://www.zope.org/Wikis/Docs/FrontPage if
you're interested in seeing something like this in there... or, of
course, you could start a small project on dev.zope.org to get it
going..