[Zope-dev] Announce: ZScheduler alpha Version 0.0.7

Loren Stafford lstaffor@dynalogic.com
Thu, 27 Jul 2000 18:33:02 -0700

The problem noted below with the Trigger tab occurs only when Zope is
limited to a single thread. The problem is due to contention for the single
thread. The workaround is to avoid using the Trigger tab on single threaded
Zope's. Or change ZEvent.py like this:

  def manage_triggerZEvent(self, client=None, REQUEST=None, RESPONSE=None,
**kw):
    """For use by the Trigger tab on ZEvent management page.
    Use for testing the ZEvent in a context that mimics that of Dispatcher.
    """
    aurl=REQUEST['URL1']
    furl=string.join((aurl, 'trigger'), '/')
    RESPONSE.redirect(furl)

With this fix, the product is fully functional, as far as I know, tho it
remains an alpha product simply because it hasn't received a thorough
shakedown.

I'll have a new release out soon with this fix and other changes.

-- Loren

> ZScheduler Version 0.0.7 Date: 2000/07/02
>
>  1. Fixed a bug that caused ZEvents to execute in the wrong context.
>
>  2. If the action method of a ZEvent raises an error, a traceback is
written
> in the log.
>
>  3. Added a Trigger tab to the management screen for ZEvents which fires
the
> event in the same context that the Dispatcher does, but without regard to
> the schedule. This helps immensely in debugging the DTML in the ZEvent.
>
> I've tested on:
>    Win98 Zope 2.2.0b3
>    Solaris 2.6 Zope 2.1.4
>    Linux ?.? Zope 2.1.3
>
> On the Linux configuration (my account at CodeIt Computing), most features
> work; however, the new Trigger tab does not behave correctly. Though the
> ZEvent method eventually executes correctly, it doesn't return anything to
> the client and Zope seems to lock up temporarily -- that is, it doesn't
> respond to other client requests. I don't have a Linux development system
> with which to track this down. Any help would be appreciated.