[Zope-dev] LM and user objects

Dan L. Pierson dan@sol.control.com
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:47:01 -0400 (EDT)

Chip Vanek writes:
 > Hi,
 >
 > I also tried to get the patch working with 2.2CVS PTK CVS and had little luck.
 > I also needed to manually apply the patch and worked through the errors until
 > I got a security violation with the PTK.  I was no longer in any way able to
 > access any of my test portals using the management interface.  I needed to
 > back the patch out and get to plain 2.21a and PTK cvs to even get a ZODB
 > portal working.

Interesting.  I've been avoiding 2.2 until the new security model gets
some more bugs worked out.  Unfortunately, this means I'm not
surprised that you had problems...

 > With all the problems with the standard PTK way of handling users access, I
 > think that the best long term solution is to fully make the leap into the use
 > of LoginManager and Racks as the standard mechenism for the PTK.

We seem to have consensus on this.  Looks like Kevin's taken over the
lead on getting to the next step which is a coherent interface for PTK
Membership to use to specify how to set up its LoginManager (e.g. how
do I create a Membership instance using a Postgressql based UserSource
here, and another Membership instance using NT domain logins there).

 > I also think
 > that the standard authentication algorithm should support user login screens
 > before basic auth for those folders that have a login_form in the aquisition
 > path.

That would certainly help.

 > So my vote is to check your patch into the main stream and harden
 > it.

That's three in favor and none opposed so far.  I'll do it after
fighting a higher priority fire this afternoon.