[Zope-dev] Re: advice on MountedFileStorage changes.

Tue, 13 Jun 2000 16:49:18 +1000

>>> Shane Hathaway wrote
> I looked some more at ZClasses and such today, hoping to solve the
> problem with mounted databases.  Guess what!  It turned out to be a
> simple matter.

Excellent! I've added support in CVS, and I'll do a new release this
evening.

> The latest addition to Mount.py provides the ability for a MountPoint
> to get its ZClass definitions from the root database rather than the
> mounted database.  Anthony, I think you'll want to make
> "classDefsFromRoot" a checkbox available when adding a new mount point.

Done. Cool, it looks like it even handles recursive mounts.

> Depending on the application, this can be the more sensible (and more
> manageable) approach.  For example, you may want to have a large
> collection of little FileStorages, all using the same ZClass
> definitions.  You certainly wouldn't want to make a copy of all
> ZClasses in each FileStorage.

Exactly. For me, one of the big things about the MountedFileStorage is
the ability to split out the data for various sections of the tree - I
still want to be able to make ZClass instances, but I don't want to have
to manage copying all products all over the place.

> In doing this I realized, and Jim suggested, that there are other
> situations where you'd really want ZClass definitions to come from the
> mounted database.  This is a larger issue.  We will first need to
> provide a way to manage the databases.  Then there will be a need to
> load/unload products dynamically.  I don't think we want to try to
> finish that for 2.2.0.

The next MountedFS release will have a teeny tiny Control_Panel like
thing in the root of the mountpoint. I'll try putting a Products folder
in it.

Anthony