[Zope-dev] Zope`s global.asa

R. David Murray bitz@bitdance.com
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 12:45:52 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 13 Jun 2000, Thomas Weholt wrote:
> Is there a global.asa counterpart in Zope, a place to put stuff that is or
> should be accessable in the entire site, like database-connections etc.? I
> was forced ( it was terrible, just terrible I tell ya!! ) to work in ASP on
> MS IIS ( it just gets worse ) and the global.asa didn`t seem like a bad
> idea.

I don't know exactly what a global.asa does, but I'm guessing from
your description that in Zope the equivalent is the root folder.
This has advantages and one big disadvantage: root folder clutter.
Shane has promised to eventually re-release his Transparent Folders
product which will allow us to fix the clutter problem...

Basically, anything you put in the root folder can be referenced
by any object further down in the hierarchy, which will acquire
it in its namespace through the magic of acquisition.

--RDM