[Zope-dev] (ZPatterns 0.4.0a1) Getting Customizers to recognize DataSkin descendants

Phillip J. Eby pje@telecommunity.com
Sun, 18 Jun 2000 12:05:37 -0500

At 06:50 PM 6/18/00 +0300, Itamar Shtull-Trauring wrote:
>I want to customize (with a Customizer) a class I made.  It inherits from
>DataSkin.  However, it's meta_type doesn't show in the Customizer's
>manage_typesForm page, so I can't tell the Customizer to use this class
>unless I call manage_setTypes manually (which works.)
>
>So how come my class won't show up - DataSkin and RackMountable both show
>up, and my Product isn't broken - I can add instances of my DataSkin
>descendant.

If it's a Python class, you need to register it as a ZClass base.  Now that
you mention it, there really isn't much reason for Customizers to restrict
themselves to ZClasses, since all they use the meta_type for is as a string
to check on instances.  Unfortunately, there's not an easy way with
non-ZClasses to get at the underlying class and see if it's a DataSkin.
I'd prefer that Customizer didn't "falsely advertise" that it could work
with something that wasn't a DataSkin, like a regular folder or something.