[Zope-dev] Full-text Indexing FOLLOW-UP

Thomas Weholt Thomas@cintra.no
Tue, 27 Jun 2000 10:24:42 +0200

Hi ( again )

Wouldn`t Zope as a web-database integrator benefit from a feature like
full-text searching? ( Everybody answers yes and nods. )
It seems as if Zope is aimed at information-publishing, using a RDBMS as
source for that information. An initiative from the Zope community to
either create products that support this using the most common RDBMS,
support these features in database-adapters if the RDBMS supports it and/or
create documentation
 ( HowTos/Tips ) on how to build a simple full-text searching, give ideas,
overviews etc, would make Zope a more viable solution for
information-publishing.

My reason for asking this is that I`m trying to sell OpenSource to my
co-workers, show that Open can be just as good as any commercial,
Closed-Sourced alternative. When I said that
full-text searching wasn`t running out-of-the-box I was laughed at. The
solution used in my company is Windows 2000 server, MS SQL 7.0 and
SiteServer/MS IIS. To compete with this
full-text searching is a must. I used PostgreSQL 7.0.2 with Zope and
PostgreSQL has a c-library for full-text searching included in the source.
If we could get this to work with Zope we would
be a bit closer.

I`m going to dive into this, so if somebody wants to help, has tips or
whatever, please feel free to email me.

Thomas