[Zope-dev] NEW db

Patrick Phalen zope@teleo.net
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 10:37:51 -0800

[Brian Lloyd, on Wed, 01 Mar 2000]
:: [Jim Sanford]
:: > Has anyone at DC given any thought to a version of Zope
:: > specifically for the reiserfs file sytem using the file
:: > system itself for
:: > data storage? I think that would rock! Unfortunately, it is
:: > above my current skill level or I would try it myself.
:: >
:: > Comments?
::
:: I've heard this suggested before. I don't know a whole lot
:: about reiserfs (but hey, thats never stopped me before!),
:: but it seems like an interesting concept. We at DC probably
:: wouldn't be able to invest any time into looking at reiserfs
:: unless it was part of a consulting contract, but "at a glance"
:: it seems like such a thing should not be much more difficult
:: than any other alternative storage layer for ZODB (RDBMS, etc.)
::
:: We would be more than happy to provide what guidance we can to
:: any enterprising Zopistas that might want to tackle such a
:: beast though. I know that there is at least one other alternative
:: storage implementation out there (Ty Sarna's BerkleyStorage), so
:: looking at that would probably be a good place to start for anyone
:: interested.

I had proposed this on this list December 8.

See the archives under these threads:

"ZODB DA?"
"Multi tier partitioning meaningful in some Zope apps?"

I contacted Hans Reiser and asked for his thoughts, which
he was nice enough to deliver (he also copied the S.U.S.E. folks with
whom he's associated). His comments are also repeated in that thread.

I'm certainly no filesystem guru, but intuitively, the idea of a
modified balanced tree alternative persistance model, journalled, is
appealing, especially since reiserfs doesn't impose a penalty for
small objects.

Since so many Zope installations are under Linux, the idea of devoting
a partition to this form of storage makes sense, even though it would
not be a cross platform solution.

I smile at the idea of Jim Fulton and Hans Reiser working together on
somthing like this.