[Zope-dev] Zope Filesystem

Christian Robottom Reis kiko@radiumsystems.com.br
Fri, 10 Mar 2000 11:29:57 -0300 (BRT)

Sorry if this is brought up excessively.

I'm wondering if we have any ongoing project to provide Zope with a
filesystem driver for Linux. I understand there's the question of object
semantics being mapped onto files, but AFAICS as soon as that's decided
it's a relatively easy task, no?

There's already an FTP interface for Zope, and IIRC there _is_ something
like a ftpfs either developed and dead or moving along slowly. This
perhaps could serve as a temporary kludge?

The main vantages are freedom from the Web Editing interface, which isn't
the greatest - at least till we get a vi-binded textarea on a browser,
which IMHO isn't coming very soon, and freedom to use whatever revision
control tools we'd like. I understand objects themselves wouldn't be
supported, but since DTML documents are plain text, they at least would
work fine, excluding attribute/permission trouble. This is not
unsolvabale, AFAICS.

[Another idea would be a plugin or module for editors - vim comes to mind
- which allows you to post the data to a webserver on a write. This is
more complex and is a 1-per-client thing, so I'm not sure it's that
interesting].

Comments?

Cheers,
--
_/\ Christian Reis is sometimes kiko@radiumsystems.com.br
\/~ suicide architect | free software advocate | mountain biker